Identifying the signs
Sexual violence & abuse is a general term used to describe any kind of unwanted sexual act or activity, including rape, sexual assault, sexual abuse and many others.
Sexual abuse refers to any action that pressures someone to do something sexually that they do not want to do. Examples of sexual abuse are:
- Unwanted kissing or touching
- Unwanted rough or violent sexual activity
- Rape or attempted rape
- Refusing to use condoms or restricting someone’s access to birth control
- Threatening someone into unwanted sexual activity
- Pressuring or forcing someone to have sex or perform sexual acts
- Using sexual insults
See Rape Crisis website for more details.